Saturday, May 14, 2016

April 2016

Before April even started we knew we were in for a particularly busy month.  We couldn't have anticipated how crazy it actually got though!


It started with a class party for Quincy.  I love that I am able to be a part of these things but I'm not going to lie, its a lot of work!  Especially with Tess!  Managing a toddler while dealing with a group of kindergarteners is not for the weak!  But I enjoy the time that I get to be in their classrooms and its especially rewarding when the kids know who I am.  And the excitement and hugs that I get from my own children are just the cherries on top!





With the Utah weather being so up and down, we take advantage of every warm moment that we possibly can...






Wheeler Farm:  Met up with our Sandy crew to explore Wheeler Farm.  The kids loved it but because of the unexpected frigid wind we packed up early and took the play date indoors.  





The sign of a REALLY good day...


And then just like that our Disneyland trip was here!  We decided to stop in Las Vegas on the way down to break up the drive.  The Orgill Family was so awesome to let us stay the night with them.  The kids instantly connected and they had so much fun every minute that we were there.  

Such a sweet reunion for these best friends... The experience of Disneyland was that much sweeter being with the Villamizar family.  


DAY 1
Walking into Disneyland...



The suspense was killing them...

Finally inside the gates, but still more waiting...


AT LAST...

Very First Ride... Peter Pan
















On the first day, the line to see Minnie Mouse was an hour and a half long. I was sad about it, but I knew it wasn't happening.  Somehow, the line to see Mickey was 10 min.  As we came out of Mickey's house, Tess spotted Minnie down a small pathway and this was the result...
She wasn't too happy that we didn't get right up close to her.  But luckily we made up for it by meeting her another day!











DAY 2
California Adventure Land


We raced to get in line to see the Frozen characters first thing...



















DAY 3
















And this is what ride swap looks like...





Saying goodbye is never easy.  This vacation was the most fabulous and most exhausting that we have ever been on.  It was so much fun wrapped up into a very quick 3 days and went by all too quickly.  Before we knew it we were saying goodbye to our amazing friends and heading home.  
 Quincy, Sofia, Addie
 Adriana and Krystal 


During our last day at Disneyland, Tess started to get feverish.  We chalked it up to heat stroke and not getting enough rest, gave her some Tylenol and pushed on.  That night she started having a croup-like cough and as the night progressed she started struggling to breath.  Being that we were still in California and not knowing where to take her, we settled on the home remedies that doctors always tell you to do with croup.  Tess and I spent most of the night in the bathroom with a hot shower running. It would work for a little bit, I'd lay her back down, and before long we were back in the bathroom.  This was the worst that any of my kids have ever had it, and it was scary.  We left early the next morning to drive home and although she was obviously still sick it seemed to calm down a bit (true to croup's form).  We made it home, got the car unpacked and the kids cleaned up, and as we went to put Tess to bed we noticed that she was struggling to breath again.  We decided to take her into the InstaCare.  All they had to do was hear her and they sent us straight back.  The nurse went immediately to get the doctor, who was already on his way to us to tell us that we needed to go to the ER right away.  Once in the ER they moved just as quickly to get her hooked up to breathing treatments and give her a steroid treatment.  We were told that they needed to monitor her for 3 hours before sending us home so that they could make sure the treatments didn't wear off.  2 1/2 hours in and she started to struggle again.  They issued another breathing treatment (which was a fight by the way) and we waited another 3 hours.  Once again, she struggled breathing so they administered another breathing treatment and then admitted us into the hospital for the rest of the night (it was 4am at this point).  By 7 am she needed another breathing treatment.  When the doctor came in, he decided that she needed another steroid treatment and told us that she needed to be stable before they could release us.  He told us that typically kids this age come in and get 1 breathing treatment and 1 steroid treatment and are able to go home after.  Poor Tess had croup so severe that she needed 2 steroid treatments and 5 breathing treatments before she was able to go home.  Over the next 2 weeks each one of us had some form of this sickness and Tess ended up with a double ear infection (one of which needed a second round of antibiotics).  It was a wicked way to come home from a vacation.   



Amidst all the sickness, we celebrated Addie's 8th Birthday.  Had we not just been to Disneyland with her best friend I would have felt bad that her 8th birthday wasn't as glamorous as it could have been. But she seemed happy and that's all that matters.  



 I knew when I met her 8 years ago that she had a lot to teach me.  Little did I know what a smart, kind, beautiful, lovable, inquisitive, creative, faithful, strong-willed and fun-loving kid she would be at 8 years old.  I often joke that she is my mini in every way but it makes me so happy to see that she is above and beyond a much better version of myself.  And she is 8.  And my heart is struggling to absorb that fact.  

On days that she was feeling better, Tess was back to wanting to be outside, and in the dirt, all the time.  



In preparation for her upcoming baptism, we took Adalyn to Temple Square to get some photos.  Such a beautiful girl...







My sweet Sandy friends invited me to join their book club (which I was once a part of, but it has changed so much since I moved that it's almost new to me) for a weekend in St. George.  It was such a great time reuniting with some old friends, making new friends, hiking, eating more than we should, and talking and laughing a whole lot.  
 Top: Joanna, Haley, Kami, Cathy, Krystal,Megan, Jen
Middle: Brooke, Emily, Darci, Jane
Bottom: Melanie, Carla, Leslie

Hiked to Scout Cave in Snow Canyon





And I couldn't resist climbing the inside...


Karaoke Pedicures?  Umm... Yes, Please!




While I was gone Devin took the girls to a school dance.  They got all dressed up, Grandma Payne helped the girls cook a special dinner for their dad, Devin brought them each a corsage, and they danced the night away.





April was full of all kinds of emotions and was definitely one for the busy books.  For as much good that happened there was an equal amount of trials.  And for all of it, I'm grateful.  For our blessings and our trials.  

No comments: