Thursday, January 19, 2012

Enjoy Every Moment... It goes by so fast!

Have any of you ever heard that phrase before? I am sure that most of you, like myself, have heard it in every situation you find yourself in with small children. And while I know it is sound advice, on some days it isn't as easy to swallow as others. Like when the older lady approaches me and my 2 screaming daughters at the store and says "Looks like someone's having a bad day?" And I'm thinking, "Yeah...me!" And then she continues to say, "Well enjoy every moment, because before you know it they will be gone!" Hearing that has always made me feel guilty. For one, I have 2 kids that are misbehaving so I already feel that I have failed as a mother, and then on top of it, I am not enjoying every moment. Well, Devin sent me this article today and I felt like her ideas on this philosophy were refreshingly honest. It inspired me to share (as well as post it for my own remembrance).
I for one fully agree with her thoughts. Some may feel that it is a negative view... I however feel that we are not meant to enjoy EVERY moment. But rather find the joyous moments in the work. I would never change for a moment the role that I have chosen to take as a mother, but I will admit that it is a very challenging role and I question myself at every turn. On this matter, I will now make it a point to find my "Kairos" moments rather than worrying that I am not enjoying EVERY moment.

My "Kairos" moments for the day:

After dropping Adalyn off at preschool, I came home to Quincy who ran to me and gave me a big hug. (She gives the world's best hug!) I could have stayed there, breathing her in, all day!














(Quincy playing in the snow at Temple Square)



When I apologized to Adalyn for speaking to her more abruptly than I should have (alright, let's face it, when I yelled at her) her reply was "I already forgave you mom... when I was in my room." She is such a sweet girl with so much love in heart.



















(Adalyn after her first day at dance class, which she loved)

1 comment:

Jodi Nelson said...

Amen, Sister! :) Your girls are adorable. I'm going to read the article you suggest. I was thinking tonight "Parenting is SO tough!" Kids (MINE), particularly one older one :) make me crazy sometimes. And who wants to be a crazy person?! But I hear you on the moments. Those are moments I cherish too. OH, and totally been approached by old people at the store saying the SAME thing!! haha Seriously people, we get it. Hang in there. You are a great mom, and your girls are so lucky to have you!
~Jodi Nelson